Friday, March 10, 2006

My Music Review Rating and Reviews

I will be inconsistent, because sometimes I am just fickle. I will rate out of 10 Canaries, 10 meaning this album is complete artistic brillance, and 1 meaning I would rather listen to Enrique Iglesias croon "Hero" for the next 24 hours than listen to this crap. There should never be a 1 on my review.

I judge music based on technical brilliance, emotional feel, lyrical content, and how well does it do what it is trying to do. Also if I like it or not. There are some bands that I do not like but I acknowledge that they are extremely talented. They may get a higher rating than music that is simple, catchy, goofy, and I enjoy.

That is the simple explanation. And I know I am leaving important aspects out of how I rate CDs. The number rundown on my 10 point canary scale

11=Best album I have ever heard and nothing can top it (I do not expect an 11)
10=Complete artistic brilliance
9=Music excellence. I will listen to this album a lot
8=Very enjoyable
7=Good.
6=I like it, but nothing original
5=Very average, no impact
4=Tolerable
3=Irritating
2=So bad it has some redeeming value by making me laugh.
1=Bring on Enrique
0=I want to kill myself and I'm not anywhere close to suicidal

Reviews:

Anberlin-"Cities" [2007] (8)-Another solid album from them. Very good pop alternative.

Athenaeum "Radiance" [1998] (7)-Rock band that is able to write some good pop, but it isn't always hooky, and that's good. The first few songs are ok, but as the album goes the songs get stronger. Thanks for the CD Drew.

Audio Adrenaline-"Underdog" [1999] (6)-Typical audio. Fun, but light, cheerleader lyrics, and not Audio's best.

Barenaked Ladies-"Everything to Everyone" [2003] (6)-I liked this album while listening, but don't remember it at all just looking at the songs. Lyrics were not as interesting either. Not Barenaked's best.

The Benjamin Gate-"Untitled" [2001] (5)-Adrienne's a good singer, but the music bored me. Not good when I'm thinking more about what I'm listening to next then what I am listening to.

Blessid Union of Souls-"Walking off the Buzz" [1999] (7)-Some very good songs and some very average ones. I love "Hey Leonardo (She Likes Me for Me)". The first half is good relationship songs, and the last half is more breakup and recovery songs but without being whiny.

Brickell, Edie-"Volcano" [2003] (7 1/2)-She was ahead of her time when she had a hit in the late 80s with "What I Am." This album is good songwriting, but nothing profound. It still has some room to grow on me.

By the Tree-"Invade My Soul" [2001] (6 1/2)-Their debut album is mostly predictable good pop rock, but with some subtleties that make them a little better. Their later album "Root" is much more creative (8).

Cabrera, Ryan-"You Stand Watching" [2005] (5)-Pretty generic pop singer-songwriter. He already faded away for good reason.

Casting Crowns-"Casting Crowns" [2003] (8)-Good accessible music with excellent lyrics. It's not easy writing great challenging stuff with a broad appeal, but they do it. This has songs the church needs to hear and put into practice.

Casting Crowns-"Lifesong" [2005] (7 1/2)-More of the same, but without quite the poignancy. Still a solid album.

Casting Crowns-"The Altar and the Door" [2007] (8 1/2)-I picked up all three of their albums at the concert, and this is my favorite. While their first album is more focused on the church, this one is more self-inspecting, focusing on the difficulty of having belief match-up with lifestyle. I particularly like "Slow Fade" about how sin chips away at us slowly until we have a big fall; "Somewhere in the Middle" about having a faith that is afraid of being shallow, and afraid of going deep; and the hidden track called "White Dove Fly High" which is absolutely beautiful.

Ceili Rain-"Say KAY-lee" [1997] (8)-Very upbeat and fun Irish rock. This band knows how to have a fun time, even if the first song on the album is heretical ("That's All the Lumber You Get" is calling for work's based righteousness to determine the size of your house in heaven). Aside from that misstep, the rest is infectious and makes me smile when I listen to it.

Chapman, Tracy "New Beginning" [1995] (5 1/2)-Probably her weakest album, lyrically at least. It is all about finding heaven on this earth, except she seems to forget the problem of people and their capacity to screw things up. Its nice idealism, but not helpful or attainable in the least.

Clapton, Eric-"Rush: the Motion Picture Soundtrack" [1992] (6)-Mostly Eric playing instrumental songs. He has one good blues song with Buddy Guy, but it is best known for tears in heaven. Good album for background music, but nothing groundbreaking for Clapton.

Cockburn, Bruce-"Nothing but a Burning Light" [1991] (8 1/2)-I found this cheap used. I picked it up because I liked a couple songs I had heard on some compilations. I am impressed with his songwriting and his observant smart everyday man lyrics. This album is still growing on me, and if someone knows his stuff, let me know what is his best.

Crow, Sheryl "C'mon, C'mon" [2002] (6 1/2)-This is not nearly as strong as her first three albums. She is much more poppy on this one, and it loses some of the emotion in the music, and she a few clever, and a few stupid songs lyrically which is typical for her. Some people really can't stand her, and I started off buying that hype, but she is a strong songwriter. But get one of her first three to find it.

Cullum, Jamie-"Twentysomething" [2004] (8 1/2)-I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this album. It is jazzy piano rock, but full of interesting covers and great originals. Another album that makes me smile.

The Cure "Staring at the Sea: The Singles" [1986] (7)-An early greatest hits compilation. I was unaware they started their career so guitar heavy, but their strongest songs came later when they are more atmospheric.

The Decemberists "The Crane Wife" [2006] (9 1/2)-This may be a ten, but I don't give those out easily. This is a very strong prog rock album, and my favorite from them. They are highly creative artists. There are two 10+ minute songs, but they breeze by and stay interesting the whole time. If you have not heard them, check them out. Colin's voice takes a little getting used to, and it makes you feel like you sailing on an English ship during the War of 1812, but it makes for a great atmosphere. Eclectic, interesting, clever, original, and darn good

Deeble, Robert-"Earthside Down" [1998] (6 1/2)-Very quiet coffee house acoustic album. He has some good social commentary, but it can also put you to sleep pretty easily with its quietness. But he wins a point for subtlety and originality.

Delirious?-"King of Fools" [1998] (7 1/2)-Delirious? is one of those bands that I forget how good their albums are. They are solid songwriters, and I bet you if I just finished listening to it, I would rate it an 8. But I didn't and I'm thinking it is a 7. I can be so fickle in these sometimes.

Dixie Chicks-"Wide Open Spaces" [1998] (2 1/2)-This was given to me by a friend and I ignored it at first. But I figured everyone deserves a chance so I listened to, knowing that they are critically acclaimed. It was less than I was expecting. I hate pop country with a passion, and this is exactly what I hate about it.

Duran Duran "Duran Duran" [1993] (5)-I am not a fan. However, they do have a few songs I really like, and two of them ("Ordinary World" and especially "Come Undone") are on this album. I found for $2 so I thought I would take the chance. There are about 3 good songs and 3 awful ones and the rest are so-so (I would spell the sound naah as I shake my hand back and forth, but that doesn't translate to reading). It gets a 5 cause it balances. Well, 3 good songs, cheaper than buying it from ITunes.

Fatboy Slim "You've Come a Long Way, Baby" [1998] (5)-I really liked the song "Praise You" and "Rockafeller Skank" or so I thought. Those songs haven't aged well, and the album, as techno is likely to be, is very repetative. Its good for techno, but techno as a genre is has little variety. I think Relient K has more variety in one song than the entire genre of techno.

Filter-"The Amalgamut" [2002] (7 1/2)-I forget how much I like their albums. This album has some genuine faith questions asked by a doubter in uncomfortable ways by someone who believes they cannot be saved. I particularly like the brutal honesty and questioning of "The Missing" and "The Only Way (Is the Wrong Way)." Filter's best album except for a boring last couple of songs.

Future Shock "The Art of Xenos-Entertaining Angels" [2002] (3 1/2)-More monotonous rap. It is all the same group on this one, but cannot differentiate from the Night Owls project.

Gardner, Sherwin "Leaning" [2002] (3)-Boring monotonous rap, but with an accent. I like variety and creativity. Sorry.

Genesis-"Trespass" [1970] (7)-My first Gabriel era Genesis album. Progressive rock. Good thing about the album-every song avoids the verse-chorus structure, and there is great musicianship. The bad part of the album is every song avoids the verse-chorus structure, and my mind checked out and went wondering halfway through the album.

Great White-"The Best of Great White 1986-1992" [1993] (5 1/2)-I only picked this up because it was $1, and I remembered liking a couple of the songs on the album. It has a couple hair metal butt rock throw away songs, but most of it has more of a greasy southern blues rock feel. I just wish the good songs weren't about sex. Musically good, lyrically horny and stupid.

Harris, Emmylou-"Red Dirt Girl' [2000] (6 1/2)-Her voice is beautiful as always, but this album suffers from monotony. Disappointing for me, because she is by far one of the best country artists out there. She has to be or I wouldn't listen to her.

Heard, Mark-"Fingerprint" [1980] (8 1/2)-Way, way ahead of his time, especially for Christian comtemporary music. I just recently discovered him. This album is excellent, and I am amazed it was 1980, because it sounds more 90s. It has some serious and silly moments, but all of it good.

Heard, Mark-"Dry Bones Dance" [1990] (8)-I found 6 of his tapes for $10, and got them because his CDs can be hard to find. This is a very solid album with good song writing, variety, yet a solid Mark Heard distinctiveness.

Heard, Mark-"Second Hand" [1991] (8)-A continuation of Dry Bones Dance, and that's a good thing.

Heard, Mark-"Satellite Sky" [1992] (9)-Probably his best. This is a great album all the way around. Solid songs with a lot of clever variety in the instrumentation and guitar work, and great poetic lyrics. I believe it was his last before his death (heart attack) in 1993. I can't believe I am just now getting to know his music. I can see his influence on many of my favorite Christian artists.

Heard, Mark-"High Noon" [1993]-I won't rate this one because it is more of a "greatest hits" that came out after his death, and all but two of the songs are on other albums I review. He is not a greatest hits artist because all of his songs are solid, so get the albums. His style would be in the same vein as R.E.M. and Crowded House with a smidge of Cajun influence, but he has his own sound. It's hard to describe someone who is original.

Heard, A Tribute to Mark-"Strong Hand of Love" [1994] (8)-I'm not a big fan of tribute albums, but this is a really good one with the likes of Bruce Cockburn, Rich Mullins, Pierce Pettis, and The Choir. They all stay faithful to the originals, but are able to put their own style on it. Funck and Harrod's version of "Worry Too Much" is my favorite.

The Innocence Mission-"Glow" [1995] (6)-I heard them on a Paste Sampler and really liked the song. This is an early album, and it still has a potential to grow on me, but I just didn't appreciate it that much. They are unique and this album still had potential to grow on me. I like what I've heard from their latest album "We Walked in Song" better.

Isaak, Chris "San Francisco Days" [1993] (7)-Chris grew on me. He is a strong songwriter with a unique voice that sounds like a California Elvis, and he makes me think of driving down the Pacific Coast highway in an old classic car with the wind in my hair.

Isaak, Chris "Forever Blue" [1995] (7 1/2)-Strong album from the king of Northern California beach country oldies rock. Well, that's how I hear him anyway.

Krist, Jan-"Curious" [1996] (7 1/2)-I bought this on a few recommendations I trust, and the first time I heard this album I was disappointed. She has a nice, folky, jazzy sound, with a gentle kind vocal. By the third time I was intrigued. I still don't feel like I get it fully, but this may be an 8 or higher down the road. Usually albums that grow on me like this I end up really liking. Jan is a good songwriter, I just don't fully appreciate her style yet.

Krist, Jan-"Outpost of the Counter-Culture" [2001] (7)-Like Curious, but with some mildly weaker songs.

MxPx-"Life in General" [1996] (6)-Typical fun punk. They do what they do well, but that's all they do so it gets a little monotonouos.

Mraz, Jason-"Waiting for My Rocket to Come" [2002] (7)-Decent pop singer-songwriter with a few gems, and a few generic songs. "Remedy" which is his biggest radio hit is my favorite song on this album. Similar to Ryan Cabrera but with much more creativity.

Night Owls "Nocturnal Doctrine" [2001] (4)-Christian rap artist compilation. This CD was given to me as a single CD with no case. I thought it was all the same group, which means its monotonous. It is among the better rap I've heard, but that really isn't saying much.

Osenga, Andrew-"Photograph" [2003] (10!)-I was immediately taken with the musical and lyrical beauty of this album. This is Andrew at his best, and if it's not, than SWEET!! Track 1-"Kankakee" is a beautiful start to the album as he explores his family roots and faith. Track 2-"Kara" tells a story of a summer crush that almost every male can identify with. Track 3-"High School Band" pays homage to "Piano Man" from Billy Joel (without ripping it off) in the storytelling and musical arrangement as he describes the stories of members of a town and their connection to the local high school band, and ends with a high school band solo. Track 7-"Vegas" is a brilliant piece of songwriting about a man who abandons his responsibilities and talks about how great living in Vegas is, but the guitar seems half a step off and the music tells the real story of rationalization and disorientation a life of hedonism can cause. Track 8-"When Will I Run" is the youTube song I have up, so you can just listen to it. All the songs are great. The other songs are strong also. This album is beautiful! You can listen to a few song here. Scroll down to the 2002 Photograph album.

Osenga, Andrew-"The Morning" [2006] (8)-I need to listen to this one more, but it is in the shadow of "Photograph." It has a very different feel than that album. It's not as strong, but it is still very good.

Paste Sampler 41 and 42-Paste is the best music magazine I have found, and they had a sampler CD with each issue. 41 had no standout songs, but on 42 "Buildings & Mountains" by The Republic Tigers, "When Water Comes to Life" by Cloud Cult, "Shooting Star and the Ambulance" by Pete Francis, and my favorite "She Held My Hand" by Steven Delopoulos (formerly of Burlap to Cashmere) are the standout tracks.

Perez, Franky-"Poor Man's Son" [2003] (4)-He tells story songs that are shallow and terribly predictable, and all his love songs celebrate lust, not love. And there are 19 songs like this. Long albums are fine if they're good. This one feels like it drags on and on.

P.O.D.-"Payable on Death" [2003] (7)-What you expect from P.O.D. Good heavy music.

The Prayer Chain-"Shawl" [1993] (5)-This is supposed to be one of the great classic Christian alternative albums. The music is original, but I don't get it.

Ramsey, Tyler-"A Long Dream about Swimming across the Sea" [2007] (9)-Beautifully written, laid back mostly acoustic songs with some occasional violins, soft drums, and various atmospheric sounds. "Ships" which I bragged about from a Paste CD sampler, is still my favorite song (I would have been surprised if it wasn't), but the rest of the album measures up. Tyler is a very good acoustic guitarist which a good, smooth voice, but he is an incredible songwriter. Check out his website to sample a few songs.

Robinella-"Solace for the Lonely" [2006] (9)-Great bluegrass jazz. Ok, the only bluegrass jazz I know of. I had an earlier album (Robinella and the CC String Band) that I was a little dissappointed in (still a 7), but this is much more what I was expecting from what I had heard. She has a great sexy soprano voice that she mixes with fiddle, mandolin, and jazz guitar, and smoothes it out with some atmospheric keyboards. The best tracks are "Press On", "Oh So Sexy (about the futility about trying to find a lasting relationship in a bar), and "Down the Mountain"

Rundman, Jonathan-"Sound Theology" [2001] (10!)-See blog entry

Rundman, Jonathan-"Public Library" [2004] (8)-More creative songwriting from Rundman. Best song: "Smart Girls" which is love song praising the beauty of intelligence. Not as catchy or interesting as "Sound Theology" but still a solid album.

The 77s-"A Golden Field of Radioactive Crows" [2001] (7 1/2)-For some reason when I first heard of the 77s, I associated them with bad 80s Christian hair metal butt rock. I have no idea why. They are a great rock band, and it took me finding "Drowning with Land in Sight" (8 1/2) for $1. I only picked it up because of Mike Roe's work with the Lost Dogs. I was converted quickly. Good straight up rock album.

Sprinkle, Aaron-"Lackluster" [2004] (8)-I think this album will continue to grow on me. Aaron (also in Poor Old Lu) is a good pop rock songwriter but with some subtle touches that puts his music above others.

Tribe of Benjamin "Raize da Praize" [1999] (3) Pure manufactured musical schlock. They take popular praise songs, changed the s's to z's to be cool, and make it mellow, boring, and way overproduced. Are the singers good? sure, but the music sounds like a boy band musical.

Various Artists-"Roaring Lambs" [2000] (7)-This CD went with the book of the same title, which I would like to read at some point. I'm generally not a fan of compilations like this, but it has some really good artists on this one. My favorites are "Goodbye" from Over the Rhine and "One Thing" by Brent Bourgeois (who I haven't heard) & Ginny Owens

Watkins, Sean-"Blinders On" [2006] (8)-Great solo effort from one third of Nickel Creek, and as expected from a very talented band, Sean has his own good sound. His solo stuff is more pop folk.

Webb, Derek-"I See Things Upside Down" [2004] (10!). See Review here

Webb, Derek-"Mockingbird" [2005] (10 1/4). See review here

The Who-"Thirty Years of Maximum R&B" [mid 60s-mid 80s]-A 4 disc greatest hits box set covering the span of the Who's career. The first two discs cover the 60s and I rate those a (6). The last two discs cover the Who that I like and I give those an (8). My favorite song, to my surprise, is the one that sounds like none of thier others; "Eminence Front."

Wilcox, David-"Into the Mystery" [2003] (7)-I think he will continue to grow on me. I love his lyrics, but his music gets a little monotonous to me.

No comments: