Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Fun Day

Yesterday was one of those rare great days when I could relax and enjoy spending time with my niece Ashley. I was off work, and taking a break from South Dakota preparation, and since she was gone last week (she had a great time in Sweden) and I will be gone next week, I wanted to make sure we did something.

We went to Columbia-Belmont State Park in Kentucky about 45 minutes north of here. I hadn't been there so I figured I would check it out, having no idea what was there, and honestly, hoping to find a good quiet out-of-the-way place to use as my local "prayer spot" for when I want to get away from everything and just spend some time praying and thinking about things. The park is actually a Civil War commemoration sight right on the Mississippi River. Ashley had been there before on field trips. We toured the sight, reading some about the history and artifacts, and then went on a little hike through a trail in the woods that went to an old hill fort. It was great getting back into the woods and smelling the distinct "forest" smell. Probably the coolest thing that happened was this very beautiful butterfly that just kept flying along with us on the trail we were walking. It was one of those reminders of God's care by making random beauty. It's like God was putting on a show of His creative hand just for us. That butterfly opened an, albeit, short but good conversation about who God is. He is a God that will make beautiful butterflies and have them lead you on a trail for no particular reason other than to make it that much more enjoyable.

As we were getting ready to leave after the hike, we noticed they have a little mini-golf course there. It wasn't a great course, but it only cost $5.00 for both of us to play, so we did. I enjoy mini-golf. I won, but only by 12 shots, which is good for her since she only played once before. One thing I had to laugh at is Ashley kept trying to put left-handed. Apparently, she has the same tendency as I do to try things doing left handed even though she is a right-hander. (if you ever play basketball with me, you will notice I shoot left-handed, I can't really explain to you why.)

On the way back, we took a detour and went through Hickman, Kentucky, just because I hadn't been there, and then went home via Reelfoot Lake.

The rest of the week is working at the Belch and on trip preparation (we still have to make the background scenery and get all the props), and then Sunday my mom and I leave with the campus minister and his wife and 8 UTM students to go to South Dakota to perform our "traveling VBS." We will arrive back home on Sunday the 23rd.

It was a great, relaxing day, and one that I needed. I love it when God puts on a show for me, just because He wants to. And it's even better because I got to share it with Ashley. She is a joy.

--written to Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here", but since proofing and posting, I have moved on to Pete Yorn-"Musicforthemorningafter"

2 comments:

J said...

Sounds like you had a fine day. Don't you wish there were more of those?

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an amazing day. It was great that you got to share that with her.
Hope all goes well with the South Dakota trip.