Monday, February 16, 2009

A Special Valentine's Day

This weekend I had the very best Valentine's Day I have ever had. Now if you count my kindergarten girlfriend, I average one about every 10 years, because for me, if a relationship is not going to work, I'm not going to bother. Not to mention, I hate the whole dating scene where you have to sell yourself. As someone put it, you have to be an ambassador for yourself. I don't like to do anything that feels fake, and I'm not going to pretend that I am all that, because while I am a terrific catch, one of my strong points is I'm going to do my best to live honestly in all aspects of my life, both good and bad. I have some deep convictions that I will absolutely not compromise on regardless of what everyone else does. So one of the most important things to me if finding a woman who loves God more than she loves me. Well, all that was a very long introduction to my wonderful girlfriend Nancy Whitt.


(Thankfully my head is strategically covering up the Yankees emblem. Good point: she likes baseball. Bad point: Yankees fan. But that is balanced out by her preference for driving a stick shift. While Yankees fans are a dime a dozen, a woman who knows her clutch is hard to find. So I'll take it, even if the car she just bought is an automatic :)

She is wonderful, and here is why: She loves the Lord and so wants her faith to shine in everything that she does. She is not interested in religion, but in a true faith in God that directs and permeates every aspect of life. She has a great sense of humor, and a fun laugh. She is independent and strong. She knows she likes and doesn't like and will tell you, but at the same time she is easy going. She is intelligent and is a great conversationalist, and she loves me for who I am, both my good points and bad points. She lives honestly and doesn't hide her strengths or her weaknesses. She loves others, especially kids, and I love watching her encourage others. The way she loves others makes me love her more. She has a very big heart. She is one of my best friends. Plus, she is totally hott!!



Nancy and I have actually been friends for around 15 years since we met the summer of 1994 at Pettijohn Camp in Oklahoma for church camp, and we have stayed in contact over the years. We have known each other at our worst and at our best, and around Christmas time, it slapped me upside the head how much I absolutely cared for her. I could not ask for a better friend. As most of you know I am a total romantic idiot and it can take me awhile, but when it hit, it ran me over like an 18 wheeler. So I told her around Christmas just how much she meant to me.

She visited Tennessee January 29-Feb 2 (right after the ice storms) and got to see me in my everyday setting (well, the ice storm part is definitely not everyday). She made friends with my friends and family quickly (and yes, they all like her). It was so wonderful just to spend a few days with her. The only down side is we have, with the exception of one semester at ACU, never lived in the same area, but when you have spent so much time getting to know someone's heart, that is really not that big of a deal. When she visited, she was encouraging, friendly, and outgoing.

This past weekend I have been able to do something fun and wonderful, and I needed a mini-vacation, so Thursday I drove to Tyler, TX where she is now living, and with the help of Nancy's sister surprised her with dinner (chicken parmesan and my famous peanut butter brownie sundaes) flowers, and my presence. She walked into the house and when she saw me gave me the biggest smile and a great hug. She was totally surprised and she absolutely loved it. It was great spending the time with her and getting to know her in her setting. The more I talk with her and spend time with her, the more I love her. Friday she took a vacation day so could spend the time together. We watched a movie (Slumdog Millionaire) and then spent the afternoon with a joyful 6th grader that Nancy's sister takes care of when her mother is working. We went bowling and miniature golfing, and unfortunately Nancy beat me at both. No, I am way too competitive to let her win, but there will be a rematch. That evening we had TX barbecue at Spring Hill in Tyler (the brisket wasn't that great, but the company was wonderful) and just spent the evening talking, watching a movie, and enjoying being together. Saturday we had to depart until my vacation to TX in March.

Being in love is wonderful, and so weird. I like it, because I am in love with one of my best friends. I hate the whole concept of "earning love" and to do so is really not loving. With Nancy, I just get to love and be loved, and it is so freeing, and it makes doing things for her a complete joy. She kept telling me I didn't have to do this, and my response was "I know, that what makes it so much fun."

I have never been anti-Valentine's Day, but I have never really had one that meant a lot to me till this year. Thanks Nancy. I love you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Why are you thanking me? Oh my goodness!!! You have totally done it again. You have flattered me in so many ways in this blog that it is insane!

For those who know Tim, you know he can be a bit dramatic -- I am not that great of a catch, but I am very blessed to have him in my life, and certainly flattered that he loves me in both my strengths and weaknesses. For those who have MySpace, you can type in my name - Nancy Whitt - or kuntrygirlfromokee to find out more about me.

Tim, I love you and hope that you know that you are a GREAT catch. And for all you guys out there, he totally blew me away with everything that he did!!!

Lady Arden said...

I'm so happy for you Tim. It's great to hear you so happy and to hear you're with someone so well suited to you and to living a Godly life. Glad you enjoyed the holiday!

Joel said...

For a guy who hasn't had many girlfriends Tim, you are quite the romantic.

Tommy said...

You are putting all us guys to shame. Congratulations Tim, I'm happy for you.