Friday, April 24, 2009

Oh Baby, I Am Bound for Mexico

I love mission trips. You get to be a part of something bigger and work with like minded (hopefully) people that you get to know on a deeper level.

I was asked a week ago if I would be interested in going to Mexico with a friend of mine who is the deacon at the other CofC in town, and I am almost always interested in good mission trips. Yesterday I got permission from my elders to go. We will be working to help build church buildings. From what I understand, in Mexico, meeting in a house or a park is looked at as a cult, so a church building is actually good for evangelism. I will be going May 29-June 6 to one of the many, many Mexican cities that is not experiencing the terrible drug cartel violence right now. Because of the violence, they have less going this year, and they needed to get enough to make the trip, and I was glad they asked me. Besides, its good research for a potential youth mission trip later.

Some people have asked if I am concerned about the violence, and no I'm not. We will not be going through any of the cities where the violence is happening. I compare it to being really worried in Martin about severe violence going on in Memphis. Yes, it is somewhat close, but not directly in it or effected by it. We will be crossing at a new border crossing about 30 miles west of Laredo, which doesn't go through any border towns. Besides, since when did safety become this all wonderful Christian tenit? No where in Scripture. Safety is not a promise given by the gospel at all, and I think it is far down the list of what is important to the Lord. Don't do anything stupid, but don't let fear dictate faith. Safety has become an idol to many. I am trying to learn how to ask the right question to know how to respond to a situation: What is good? What is right? I think too often we ask: What is safe? (more commonly the female question) What is comfortable? (more common the male question, and the one I am guilty of asking too often). I want my actions to be respond to what is right, not what is comfortable.

I am excited about the opportunity, and for experiencing another culture and getting to know some other believers.

-Written to Moby "I Like to Score" and Jeremy Camp "Stay"

1 comment:

Sarah said...

We go through the Colombia crossing all the time and never have any problems with drugs or bad people. I would never take my kids through Laredo.