Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Biggest Loser

Yesterday my friend Scott and I started our own biggest loser competition. It will be until the end of August. It is based on percentage of weight lost. I weighed in yesterday at 363 lbs. and Scott at 284. The biggest loser at the end of each month will get $20.00 and the total biggest loser for the summer will get $40.00, while the one who lost the least weight will have to do something incredibly embarrassing.

Scott proposed the contest, and I was glad he did, because I have been thinking about my weight, and issues with food, and my health in much more serious terms in the last few months. 363 is the most I have ever weighed in. I still "feel" healthy most of the time, but when I tax myself I tire out quickly and feel pain in the small of my back. My blood pressure in the last two years has also been creeping up to where it is now on the cusp of being past the high end of ok. The reality is I am glutonous and out of shape. I eat whatever I want to, and as much as I want, well beyond what I need. Part of what got me thinking is that I am 30, and if I want to double that and more, I have to get in shape. The other part is I have been confronted with the realities of the American food market and its influence on the rest of the world. Basically I am getting full, fat and happy for cheap while much of the world starves. This was the motivation I needed to do something about it.

Before:




My goal is eventually get down to 280, which is less than what I weighed when I graduated high school (290). I don't know what is plausible for this summer, but I would like to be down to at least 330. The changes I'm making are the two most important: eat less and healthier, and be more active.

I'm excited to see how it will turn out, because I have never attempted to lose weight. Looking at my diet, I really do believe that if I ate healthy (read a LOT more fresh fruits and vegetables and a LOT less prepared foods) it would make a drastic difference.

Scott is being nice about it and letting me include my Mexico trip (May 29-June 6) where I will be working hard in hot weather. I don't plan on going the Montezuma's Revenge route of weight loss however.

Hopefully After:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Who wants Matthew when they can have you? I will be here to encourage and inspire in any way I can. If it makes you feel better, my goal is 30 lbs in honor of turning 30. My sister is excited for both of us to be healthier.

Sarah said...

I'm excited for you to see what you can do. I would encourage you to do what I didn't do, and go ahead and try to look at the reasons why you're overweight (emotional eating, etc). I was successful at losing weight without dealing with my issues but not at keeping the weight off. I've gained 10 pounds back and really don't want to gain any more. I need to look at why I eat while doing other things (mindless) and why I feel I "deserve" treats for crummy days. Things like that. Anyway I'm proud of you!

Matt said...

Tim,
Matt left for the states yesterday. He just lost his brother and I can't be with him because I'm due within the next couple of weeks. If you could give him a call, I'd apreciate it. His cell number is 205-520-4470. Thanks and good luck with your challenge. Matt's been doing well lately too. He's been working hard and has lost about 30 pounds over the last several months. I'm hoping this tragedy doesn't set him back too much from his goals but more importantly I pray that God keeps him safe and gets him back here before his daughter is born.
In Him,
Mary Virginia

brooke said...

ahahaha!! the before and after shot! i'm so happy for you tim! congratulations! your story was so sweet and definitely unforgettable! i can't wait to meet her at the wedding or maybe sooner! your weight loss program sounds awesome!..also eating 4 or 5 smaller meals a day and not eating 2 hours before bed really helps too! you have a wedding date set? take care!