Saturday, June 13, 2009

How to Manage Mexico with No Violence and Only One Swine "Flu"

Thanks to all of you for your support and interest in the Mexico trip. We arrived home safe and sound on Saturday after a good week of work. I am so thankful for the opportunity and grateful for the new friends I made from Main St. Church of Christ in Springfield as well as Holmes Rd in Memphis, and Sitka in Milan, who joined us for the work. I also very much appreciate David for inviting me to go on the trip. It was hard work, and I returned physically tired, but spiritually and emotionally refreshed.

We left Friday morning, May 29 and got our trip adventure out of the way early when I had my luggage confiscated by a police officer, and a Springfield elder, Jim, ended up in the back of a police car. Perhaps I should explain. We met the Springfield group at the rest area south of Jackson, loaded our luggage and went on our way. The door the bus was not closed properly, and a few miles down the road, it came open. By the time we noticed it, we were about a mile from where it happened. We pulled over and I noticed that my suitcase was missing along with Mike's duffel bag. Someone who had seen it happen pulled up and offered to take someone to the weigh station just ahead to get help from the police. I was imagining my suitcase being hit by an 18 wheeler and scattering all over the road like in the Enter Sandman video. Shortly afterwards, a state trooper pulled up behind us and mentioned that he had seen someone picking up our bags. He wondered if they were with us, and in that conversation he noticed the vehicle drive by. He chased them down and confiscated our luggage from them. The ones in the vehicle said they were going to take it to Memphis (yeah right, I hope they knew a big boy, because I doubt my clothes would have fit them). Thankfully the bags returned a little scuffed up from their 70 mph highway dropoff, but fully intact and all there. Shortly after, another state trooper crossed the median with its lights on and pulls up with Jim in the back seat being returned to us. I wish we had a picture. All was well and we were able to get on our way, with no more traveling adventures.

Thanks to spending the first night of travel in Austin I was able to see Sarah & Joel (on their tenth anniversary). It was good visiting with them for a bit. Saturday we crossed the border and got to Monterrey about 7 PM. The hotel (Gran Ancira, built in 1912) we stayed at was wonderful and in a really nice area (I wish I had a good picture of the emaculate lobby) a few blocks from the Nuevo Leon capital building.
Sunday was our free day so after worship (our group at hotel) we walked on the river walk, ate, then Mike and I were going to go on the river walk boat, but they closed early, so went to the Museum of Mexican history which was pretty cool.





Here is the Main St. Springfield group minus Guy, Judy, and Stan who went on the river walk boat:



Monday we started on the worksite. The building we worked on is going to be two stories and about 90ft. x 120 ft. (I don't remember the exact specs, but that's close). It will be the largest building in Monterrey, but will be able to hold church gatherings for the whole city such as the Bible school graduation. Right now they have to rent a place. It is a new area of Monterrey, but it is building up quickly. Not only will there be lots of new homes, but the Mexican government in building a tunnel through the mountain, and it will pass right by this area.


When we got there, the right side of the building still needed to be blocked and cemented, but the left side had the second story concrete poured.



The work we did during the week was to finish putting blocks on the first level and start putting blocks for the second level floor which had been poured. We also took down all the framing for the second floor concrete. The first day I moved blocks, wood, and got nails out of the wood planks so they would be reused ( I really did not want to get on the scaffolding).

The second day we started with a block line (stand in a line and keep the blocks moving. When your swinging thrity pounds it doesn't feel as heavy.) The next two and a half days I learned how to lay block. Mike was my patient and gracious teacher.
When all was done, we had all the framing down and ready for the next group to put up, we had the right side of the building's blocks up and the cement poured, and we had 5 rows of blocks (minus a small section) layed on the second story. It was hot, but thankfully we had some wonderful ladies in our group which made sure we had lots of Gatorade and water. I was really sore Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, but by Thursday my body had adjusted. Temperature wise it was cooler than it usually was, but it was still hot. Wednesday was the warmest with a heat index over 100, but Thursday had a nice wind. Thanks to sunblock I did not burn, of course I didn't tan either, but then I don't do that even when I burn. Also, each day some women from the congregation fixed lunch so I had truly authentic Mexican. Tuesday I had some of the best tamales ever. It was delicious. Here is the cooking crew for one of the days:



What was so great was that we weren’t laying block, or pouring concrete. We weren’t even building the church building. We were building the church. That made all the tasks have a purpose and meaning. The church in Mexico was described like the Field of Dreams, when you build it, they will come. Working together on with a common purpose helps create community and build friendships quickly. I got on the bus with strangers, and arrived home with good friends. I can show pictures of the work, but I can't really show how great it was to work together with this group of people. It is a worthy work that I hope to be able to participate in again. Hopefully I will be going on the January trip.


On the way back we stayed in Greeneville, TX, which is only 80 miles from Tyler, so Nancy was able to come up and spend a couple of hours with me. I was glad she got to meet the group and that they all got to meet her. They seem to think that she is a keeper. It was a wonderful bonus to be able to see old friends and make some new ones.

As far as safety, so much of that is media overhype. We crossed at Columbia which does not have a city on either side of the border, and in Monterrey we stayed in groups and we were in a nice area. Oh yeah, the swine flu thing. We did have one couple come back with the swine "Flu." It was a ceramic pig that was named "Flu."

No comments: