Friday, February 15, 2008

Movie and Music Ratings

Movies are rated on a 5 star system (^ meaning 1/2 star). Here's what that means:

0 stars-Offensive waste of time. I wish I had that part of my life back. Terrible, disgusting message done well enough to have to take seriously. Also covers EGADS movies (Extremely Good Action, Dumb Story) Examples: Armageddon, The Graduate, Final Destination

1 star-Dismissive and unrememerable or badly done. I would give an example, but I can't think of any.

2 stars-Predictable and unoriginal. Says nothing about life, but is done decently or is fake. Ex: The Notebook, Balls of Fury, The Transformers. Most romantic comedies and action movies.

3 stars-Good movie. Good story done well. Ex. We Were Soldiers, Finding Neverland, Cast Away

4 stars-Great movie. Interesting and original, or a good story very well told. Ex. Spiderman, Radio

5 stars-Classic. Profound. I learn something from it, or from a comedy, I laughed so hard and will quote it all day. Ex. Braveheart, The Princess Bride, The Shawshank Redemption, Napolean Dynamite, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Mirror Has Two Faces

Reviews:

Accepted (**^)-About a kid who gets rejected from college so goes in with some friends to start one as a hoax. It catches on much more than he hoped. Has some really funny one liners, but it is way too slacker. It does ask some interesting questions about education, but I think those were unintended.

Across the Universe-(***^) Weird, trippy musical using Beatles songs. Very artistic

Ali (***^)-Well acted and interesting story. Ali was a good trash talker.

Balls of Fury (**) Nothing terrible, but nothing great either. I wasn't bored but I didn't laugh either

Batman (***) I hadn't seen the original till now. It's not as good as Batman Begins (****)

Beverly Hills Ninja (*^)-The worst of the Chris Farley movies. He plays off David Spade well, but can't carry much by himself. This was just not that memorable or funny.

Braveheart-(*****) Classic. Used several clips for my retreat and had forgotten how great the movie was

Bruce Almighty (***)-I remember liking this movie more. Overall, I like the theology of God in this movie. It can definitely create discussion on the nature and personality of God, and His interaction with humanity. I also liked that things don't start working for Bruce until he starts serving others. Of course in that mix it eliminates the awesomeness and fear that encountering God creates. The first time I noticed the theology I liked, the second time I noticed the theology I disliked.

Caddyshack (***)-Classic comedy that probably hits other people with laughter harder, but it is quite funny. And I watched it on TV so some of the worse parts were editted. The Baby Ruth pool scene makes me hurt, but several other comedies have made me laugh harder.

Children of Men (*^)-Convulted futuristic generic save the only pregnant woman movie. I tired of the machine gun fire. It was boring.

Clear and Present Danger (****^)-Action movie classic. It is smart, quick moving, and very interesting. The best of the Jack Ryan movies.

Cool Runnings (***)-The highly inaccurate story of the Olympic bobsled team. The inspiration pretty much stops after the fact that there was a Jamacan Olympic Bobsled team. Everything else is totally fiction, but at least it is enjoyable fiction.

Dan in Real Life (*****)-This movie has HEART! It is rare I am still thinking about a movie 3 days after seeing it. It investigates duty vs. good human desire, and feelings vs. responsibility. Not to mention it has some of the funniest lines delivered in an appropriate overly melodramtic way by a 15 year old girl. I laughed a lot and I had a tear come to my eye. I connected with it because it has real, likeable characters and I share much of the same struggles and thoughts as Dan. And the movie celebrates morality, family, and genuine romantic love

The Dark Knight (***^)-The Joker is absolutely creepy and is the best part about the movie. It is very dark, but worth seeing. It may be long, but I feel like you should take as long as you need to to tell a story. I did like Batman Begins better, but that may be because I wasn't expecting much. Of summer blockbuster superhero flicks though, I like Ironman better.

Eragon ()-This is simply one of the worst book adaptions I've seen. It took out many main characters, plot points, and storytelling. If I had not read the book, which I very much enjoyed, I would have had all kinds of questions. Awful.

Fireproof (*****)-Perhaps the best illustration of what it means to truly love. The movie is about a man who wants a divorce, but his dad convinces him to fight for his marriage. The transition he goes through is wonderful. This is a great ministry tool. It is well made but could use a bit of improvement, but this is a case of the story outshining even the delivery. It made me cry (definition: I had a tear in my eye) at four different times, but it never felt manipulated. I strongly suggest this movie.

Flags of Our Fathers (****)-It tells the story behind the photo of the American flag raising at Iwo Jima in WWII. It is told in 3 different time periods, and it is very interesting. It makes me want to read the book.

Flushed Away (**^)-About a pet rat from a rich family getting flushed into the sewer. It was ok. At this point I saw it a month ago, and I remember liking it mildly, but nothing else.

Galaxy Quest (****)-About an alien race who mistakes the TV show for reality and asks the crew to help. Having watched Star Trek: The Next Generation growing up, this movie to me was hilarious. Excellent heart felt spoof. If you like Star Trek, it is definitely a 4, if not it probably drops to a 3

The Godfather, Part II (*)-Here is where I really annoy movie buffs. The Godfather is classic cinema. It is very well acted, and well made. But the story sucks. It's all about people who redeem through vengence and believe they are God. And it has a sense of glorification about it. It is a disgusting story. Oscars be damned.

Gran Torino (****)-Clint Eastwood plays a grumpy old man who is still trying to live in the 50s. But he befriends his Hmong neighbors and watches out for them and protects them in a community that has become overrun with gangs. It is a story of redemption for all of the main characters.

Groundhog Day (***^)-About a man who keeps living the same day over and over. I thought I had seen this movie before, but don't remember any of it. Good enough to watch again, but not good enough to watch every Groundhog Day. It is amusing

Hancock (***)-About a lazy drunk superhero who can't do anything the right way. Everything good he does is overshadowed by the havoc he creates in the process. Critics didn't like it that much, but I'm not sure why. It is a good twist on the superhero movies, having one that doesn't really have an archnemesis, and that is likeable because he is pitiful. Has an unexpected twist, but an interesting one.

The Happening (**)-I like M. Night Shyamalan, but his last two movies have been duds. This one was interesting while I was watching it, but the more I think about it the stupider it gets. Plus, since when was a Jeep Wrangler airtight? Really. The social commentary falls flat. The Village (*****) is still my favorite from him

Horton Hears a Who (***^)-I didn't expect much from this movie. I was very pleasanly surprised. It was thouroughly enjoyable, but now I need to go back and read to book to check the accuracy. Don't mess with Dr. Seuss.

Hot Fuzz (****)-About a big time cop put in a small time city that wins for best communities in England. Oh but does he ever uncover a conspiracy when people keep dying in strange "accidents." This is a fun movie.

How to Eat Fried Worms (***)-I remember reading this book as a kid. It's a fun movie, harmless and kinda gross. Worth a family watch if it is on.

I, Robot (****)-I haven't read the book, and I doubt it was even trying to stay close to it. It investigates the theme of technology, humanity, safety, and freedom. The pacing of the movie was superb, and the storytelling by only telling us the same information as the main character keeps the mystery going. I hate when movies assume your an idiot or purposely mislead you. This did not do that.

In the Line of Fire (***^)-Good suspense movie about an old secret service agent who looks suspiciously like Clint Eastwood trying to protect the President from the evil John Malkovich. Well paced and interesting with good characterization. I'm glad I have seen Being John Malkovich (****) because his craziness made sense.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (***)-It is funny, campy, ridiculous, and just plain fun. Normally ridiculous action movies annoy me, but this one has so much fun and charm, and is tongue in cheek enough to be enjoyable and to overcome several holes in the plot. I need to rewatch the first 3 to see if they are as silly and fun. (I think I've only seen two of them).

Iron Man (****)-One of the best superhero movies I've seen. It is good all around. I particularly like that Iron Man, instead of just fighting injustice, has to work to undue his own influence. It adds a deeper element to his character.

Juno (****)-Good heartfelt story about a pregnant teenager trying to figure out what to do. It is well acted with excellent dialog. However, I do have a serious complaint against the movie: It made very light of her giving her baby up for adoption. Its like she had no connection to her child at all. Adoption is tough on the birth mother too. If it would have more honest about the difficulty of teenage pregnancy, other than the social aspect, it would have been 5 star.

The Last King of Scotland (****)-Tells the story of Idi Amin's terrifying rule of Uganda through the eyes of a Scottish doctor who becomes Amin's personal physician. This is a difficult watch, but it shows Amin for the meglomaniac he was. Governor Blagojovich needs to watch this, because he seems to have the same personality as Amin. I was seriously thinking that as I watched this movie. Thank God for democracy.

Les Miserables (***^)-This is the made for TV one made in 1978 starring Richard Jordan. This is the one I remember being so moved by when watching it in French class in high school. Unfortunately, the original was 160 min, but they only sell it in 120 min, so a lot of the story is cut out. It is more accurate than the recent theatrical release, but it is a much lesser quality of acting. I would like to get my hands on a full length copy. Once again, the power of this story is incredible.

Les Miserables (****^)-This is the one with Geoffrey Rush and Liam Neeson from 1998. This is an amazing story about a man who goes to prison for stealing bread, and learns from that how to become a crook. He later meets a bishop who changes his life, and he becomes a loving caring honest person. Contrasting is a guard who believes only in law and justice and has no room for mercy. The movie takes some liberties with the book, but it the story about redemption and justice is compelling and moving. I will use this in a retreat by contrasting living under grace and mercy vs. legalism. The only reason it is not 5 star is because I think they can make a better movie. I highly suggest watching this story.

Liar Liar (**)-About a promise breaking dad who keeps missing important things in his son's life. I liked it in junior high, but now Jim Carrey is so over the top that it is irritating. He is crazy, and everyone else is the straight man. It needs more balance, because it is a good idea for the story.

Mafia! (***)-One of the last of the good spoof movies, because it doesn't denegrate into sexual humor. I was amused. Two of the jokes had me rolling. Run, florist, run.

Man of the House (***)-About cheerleaders who witness a murder and must be put under witness protection. I only watched this because I saw part of it when some of my youth were watching it. I actually liked it even though it is silly and full of cheerleader stereotypes. Tommy Lee Jones makes this movie. Of course it may be because I wasn't expecting much, and it exceeded my expectations.

A Mighty Wind (*****)-My favorite in the Christopher Guest mockumentries (including This Is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, and Best in Show). The characters are hilarious and the music is really good. I laugh everytime Guest sings "Well" in "Eat at Joe's." Plus the movie has an autoharp. Classic comedy that gets funnier with each view.

Once (*****)-charming musical about a guy meeting a girl and making beautiful music, literally. The story is mostly told through the songs they record, and the music is outstanding. I think that when I watch it again, I will like it more. (I just watched it again a couple nights ago and liked it even better. It is now a 5 canary movie.)

Pride & Prejudice (***^)-Intelligent romantic comedy based on Jane Austen's book. The depth of the characters makes me think I need to watch it again and it may grow on me. Very well acted and it looks wonderful.

Prince Caspian (****)-The power of C.S. Lewis' story shines through, but it is not as good as "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" because they took a couple of annoying and unnecessary liberties with some major aspects of the story. However, it is still an engaging movie and I still found myself in awe at power of the story. If they kept to the book it would have been 5 canaries.

Rat Race (****)-A whole bunch of characters are put into a contest to be the first to find $2 million. The comedy of errors ensues, and they are over the top, but absolutely hilarious. The only downside is that it doesn't hold up to repeated viewings, but it had me cracking up.

The Ringer (***)-I don't like Johnny Knoxville at all, but this was suggested by a few youth ministers whose movie taste I respect. It is amusing, and heartwarming, and badly acted, but it does have some good laughs, and some heart.

Seven Pounds (***^)-This was a tough movie for me to figure out how I felt about it. It is intriging and asks if the means justifies the end. If I say too much it will give away the story. I am still struggling with what it is saying.

Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet (**^)-Interesting modern day retelling. The symbolism was so in your face it was annoying at times, but the cultural reimagination was ok.

Shaun of the Dead (***)-About a couple slacker who must save his friends from a zombie invasion and win back his girlfriend in the process. This one suffered from high expectations. I had heard it was hilarious. I found it to be amusing, but not much laughing out loud. It is a fun movie, but nothing great.

Slumdog Millionaire (***)-This movie has a lot of Oscar buzz, and I can see some of the buzz, but I think it is overrated a bit. It is a good movie, and the shots of the slum side of Mumbai, India are well done, but it is a movie I probably just see the one time. It is about a kid from the slums that gets on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and knows the answers to the questions because of his life experience. They think he is cheating and he tells his story as they relate to the answers.

Spiderman 2 (****)-Very well done movie. I enjoyed it. I don't think I really need to say anything else about it because you have probably seen it already.

Syriana (***)-I wasn't in concentration mode, and I think I missed quite a bit to this movie, but even if I got it I don't think I'd be blown away (pun not intended?). Worth a watch if you like thinking political thrillers.

The Terminal (***)-Enjoyable movie, but a couple of glaring holes in the storyline, like a complete lack of a translator for 9 months, and the guy in charge of immigration at the airport was unbelieveably ridiculous. Going for this movie is it's heart, good acting, and enjoyable characters.

Tombstone (***)-About what went on with Wyatt Earp and company. I'm not a big Western fan, but I did enjoy this movie. I have no idea how inaccurate it is, besides I'm sure very.

Top Gun (***)-One of those 80s movies I missed. I'm sure the movie was a breakthru with the way they filmed the flights. Fairly generic plot well executed.

Training Day (****)-About a terrible crooked cop who lives by Machiavellian standards. He is training a new recruit who does not share his outlook. It is a tough movie and very violent, but it shows what that kind of lifestyle will get you, both good and bad.

Twilight (**^)-I wonder if I would have gotten it if I didn't have all the back story of the book. Not an awful adaptation, but not great either.

Two Brothers (*)-About tiger cubs who get separated and are put under the ownership of different people. They come together to fight and recognize each other and don't fight. I stopped watching after this point. It is a boring movie, and nothing to it beyond a cute factor.

Walk the Line (****)-About the same as Ali, except I like Johnny Cash's music much more than I like boxing. And I know one of the extras in this movie, and it has an autoharp.

Wall*E (****^)-Another great movie from Pixar. Michael Bay needs to look to Pixar to learn how to tell a story. In the first 30 minutes, there is no talking, yet it is interesting and it tells the whole back story without forcing any of it. This is a very mature, fun, and creative movie for all ages. Plus, I love the commentary on a comfortable, over-entertained culture.

We Were Soldiers (***) Typical war movie well told. Difficult but real

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (***^)-It had been a long time since I had seen this, and its enjoyable and groundbreaking. Worth checking out if you have forgotten about it.

X2: X-Men United (**)-The plot just seemed convoluted. I think they spent more time coming up with super powers and trying to fit those in. I really liked the first one, but this one needed more concentration on the story

No comments: