Thursday, June 26, 2008

I love Pesto & Blueberries

Ahh, I write this after filling up on my favorite pasta sauce (when made properly) pesto. That means that I was able to get some fresh garden picked basil.

Today we had a service project. My youth group went out to the Vine and Branch Farm which has blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. We picked them for whoever wanted some. I haven't had a good blueberry since I lived in New Jersey, and I moved from there when I was 8. I love fresh blueberries. This evening my niece and I went back to get our own (5 1/2 lbs. for $16.50, which is far surperior to marker prices around here) and we had a chance to visit with the owners. I had met them and heard about the farm because a friend of mine married their daughter a month ago. They are very friendly. They showed me what other things they grow, and they have an herb garden. They gave me some fresh basil. I made pesto. It was outstanding. And I have 5 1/2 lbs. of fresh blueberries in the fridge. Yum. muffins, pancakes, cobbler, pie, and of course, just straight berries. I will go back in a couple weeks when the blackberries are blooming.

Pesto Recipe:

3 cups of loosely packed fresh basil leaves
3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil (get the good stuff, don't skimp on this)
1/4 c. pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
black pepper
1 t. salt

Blend all of that in a blender or food processor. It looks like a nasty green paste, or yoda poo.

But it is delicious.

After blended, add 1/2 c. fresh grated parmesan cheese

Serve over penne pasta.

I added some sun dried tomatoes over the top. It would also go great with roasted bell pepper or grilled chicken.

I am satisfied.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Stop! You're making me hungry!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Sounds Yummy!! You need to send some to Texas.