Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm Suing the BAR When I Get Prostate Cancer from My Lack of Lycopene

I went to a certain restaurant that I used to work at and saw this sign on the register. I grabbed a pen and decided to make it more accurate. For some reason they wouldn't let me hang it back up.

The whole thing doesn't show up, but hopefully clicking on it will bring up the whole thing.

Photobucket

The copy cut off "used" and "grandparents." I'm not sure if the grandparents line is accurate. The last line that was cut off mentioned "corn syrup, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, and transfats" which of course are still fine to sell despite their link to obesity and diabetes (not like I have cut them out of my diet).

I looked at the FDA website and since mid April, 145 people have reported cases of salmonella with 23 being hospitalized. 145? And they stop selling tomatoes nationwide? 40,000+ died in vehicle accidents last year. But they still sell cars. That means that in the time 145 got sick (much more have gotten cancer, flu, HIV, etc.) in the same time that approx. 6,700 died in car accidents.

But everyone is scared of tomatoes. It was much more likely I died in a car wreck on the way home than get salmonella.

Culture is stupid, and sue-happy-somebody-is-at-fault-for-everything-bad-life-deals-somebody-and-money-will-fix-it-lawyers are stupider.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just posted about my thankfulness that my garden is making tomatoes this summer.

Anonymous said...

That's funny stuff, Tim. I agree with you that we live in a fear dominated culture. Seth Godin has an interesting post on his blog today about the Marketing of Fear. http://tinyurl.com/5ptzta